Get Crafty with Rob Penn
Accepts Time Out Card
- TIME OUT CARD
- Markets are brilliant places to find out more about the unique, artisan pieces you’re buying; but this one-off Time Out Live Event is even better!
- Spend an evening in the beautiful surroundings of Cecil Sharp House, nestled on the edge of Regent’s Park, and hear from five disgustingly talented individuals about their wood crafts on Thursday June 30.
- Featuring Rob Penn (the journalist, TV presenter, cyclist and author of ‘The Man Who Made Things Out Of Trees’), coppiced wood craftsman Geoffrey Fisher, bike craftsman Peter Charnaud and thanks to Crafty Fox Market kitchenware craftsman Mike Groves, sculptor Zack McLaughlin and jeweller Lucie Ellen, it promises to be an inspiring evening.
- Get your exclusive tickets here for just £10, before they’re all whittled away…
You’ve got to love a Sunday morning chat at your favourite local market stall, but what with lots of other people wanting to buy things, it can be hard to sustain a proper conversation. With this in mind, we’re bringing six local craftspeople together on June 30 for an evening of inspiration and beauty. Head over to the beautiful garden at Cecil Sharp House at 7pm, grab a drink from the bar and meet five super-talented makers as they talk about and demonstrate their craft.
At 8pm, it’s over to Rob Penn who’ll be discussing his experiences and his work with his fellow craftsmen, Geoffrey Fisher, Mike Groves, Zack McLaughlin, Lucie Ellen and Peter Charnaud, and how to make this kind of sustainable, creative life work in London via markets such as Crafty Fox. It’s going to be an enlightening evening that anyone who appreciates handcrafted beauty will love. Get your hands on one of a limited number of £10 tickets now, and we’ll see you there.
From Hay-on-Wye to London, we bring you Rob Penn. This inspirational author, journalist, TV presenter and cyclist (who has, rather incredibly, cycled in over 50 countries on five continents) will be Rob Penn will be discussing his experiences and his work, chronicling how the urge to understand and appreciate trees still runs through us all like grain through wood.
A master craftsman who produces a range of hand made products from sustainably sourced materials, including locally coppiced wood. There’s a good chance he’ll harvest a few bits of wood from the Royal Parks en route to this event and make something with it before your very eyes.
Mike’s all about the maxim: love what you eat, love what you eat from. His beautiful wooden kitchenware is made from wood sourced predominantly in SW2 and SW9 and sold at markets like the Crafty Fox market in Peckham.
The founder of Paper & Wood, Zack Mclaughlin creates dramatically beautiful sculptures of birds from little more than paper and wood. Completely self-taught he loves to try to emulate the beauty he sees in the natural world around him. His pieces are made mainly for private buyers but also for shops and window displays all over the world.
Lucie works out of her garden studio in East London making a diverse and ever changing range of jewellery using a fret saw. Her favourite materials are wood and paper, which she finds to be a constant source of inspiration. Her work is stocked in shops and galleries all over the world, for good reason – it’s beautiful.
Peter builds the most beautiful bikes out of English woods and when he’s not creating them, he’s riding them. Peter has built road bikes, mountain bikes, electric bikes even an electric tandem bike, but his bikes are all about combining art with function and bringing out the beauty of the wood.
- Need to know
- This voucher is valid for one ticket to Time Out’s ‘Get Crafty with Rob Penn’ event at Cecil Sharp House on Thursday June 30 2016.
- The event runs from 7pm-9.30pm.
- Please print your voucher and present it on arrival.
- Please note that photography and filming may occur on the evening and which may feature visitors. By purchasing a ticket and attending the event, you are agreeing to the use of these images in any future promotional, advertising or publicity material.
- This voucher cannot be cancelled, refunded, exchanged or used in conjunction with any other offer.